Thursday, August 28, 2014

My Visceral Response

I selected this picture (of a picture) for my visceral response because I remember exactly how I felt when I first saw it. I was walking around The Met in New York when I saw this painting and I remember stopping and actually audibly saying, "Wow." I spent at least 15 minutes standing in front of this one just looking at it and taking in the colors and designs.    
There are so many things about this painting that makes it interesting to me. First, as I briefly mentioned above, I loved the colors in this painting. I believe this painting contains every color of the rainbow, and so that made it exciting to look at. Not only does it contain all of the ROYGBIV colors, it's got different hues of each color as well. Some of the colors are more intense and vivid than others, and I really like the combination of hues and values throughout the painting. 

I also like that it contains many triangular shapes as well as some designs that don't even look exactly like any particular shape at all. When I first looked at this painting, I actually didn't know what to look at first. I think part of what provided that experience was the way the painting is actually hanging. It didn't look like everything else hanging in the Met, it was actually hanging about 45 degrees differently than all the other paintings. 

That added to the overall quality of different shapes happening in this painting. This rotation also helped with the line of the painting, it directed my eye to the very top corner of the painting, and then I looked at it in a clockwise motion because of how the shapes and colors are placed. I don't know that this painting has an exact vertical or horizontal line to it, but I like to think that the line was a clockwise circle that directed my eye around the entire painting.

The intense colors, various shapes, and unique hanging really had me in awe at the museum. I wish this wasn't in the Met, because I'd like it to be in my apartment! It's so beautiful and really created the stupefying feeling for me when I saw it. 

2 comments:

  1. I get WOW too. There is not only color and shape, but there is depth to it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hard to go wrong at The Met. This art uses vectors to move your eye through it, something we'll talk about a bit later.

    ReplyDelete